Friday, August 20, 2010

Real Studio Tutorial over; Chapter 2 of User Guide begins...

Now this is nice. I've been waiting for some entity to mention intelligently how programming has changed. And here in Chapter 2 of this User's Guide, I found a proper acknowledgement, clearly stated.
Before computers used graphical user interfaces, applications ran by simply executing a series of programming code statements starting with the first statement and ending with the last. Interfaces were all character-based. A menu was just a numbered list of commands that the user selects from to instruct the application to do a task. Most of the time, the application was just sitting there waiting for the user to make up his mind. When the user finally chose a command (perhaps by selecting the number next to the menu item and pressing the Enter key) the application would take whatever action was associated with the chosen command. When the user pressed the Enter key, an event occurred. In other words, something happened to which the application can respond. Now that desktop computers use a graphical user interface, users have a far more intuitive way to interact with applications...
Ah. That feels good. I swear I haven't come across that simple sentiment in all my trolling of the software world over the last decade.  I, and I know many others like me, felt completely abandoned when simple programs like BASIC and Fortran were tossed in favor of Bill Gates and his "Windows" concept. F Bill Gates! is a common sentiment among my mental kin. He and Microsoft cavalierly destroyed all the fun we were having, and created a disgusting, fetid, stinking monopoly in the doing.

I'm becoming more and more glad I bought Real Studio. (And no, I am not an employee.) Of course, it could be that there are dozens of other kits (?) that do the same thing. (Am I supposed to call it a "development suite" or some such? Fuck that.)

Simple BASIC!  How I have missed you! Real Studio/User's Guide/Chapter 2, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment